Outcomes Research Award
The American Contact Dermatitis Society is soliciting proposals for study of outcomes of dermatitis evaluation and management. Proposals may include investigators from single or multiple centers. The purpose is to establish the value of expert specialist evaluation and management of chronic dermatitis. Proposals are expected from established centers with availability of extended patch test series. Results from the research will be published in Dermatitis subject to editorial review.
Grants of $10,000-$50,000 will be awarded for a study interval of up to 24 months. Funds will be dispersed in two payments with the initial payment upon funding and the final payment upon submission of a final report. These awards may not be used to pay the salary of established investigators. No indirect costs will be allowed.
Proposals will be peer-reviewed by a committee. Proposals will be scored using a rubric that rewards the following areas of research emphasis:
- Measure of quality of life
- Measure of need for long-term immunosuppressive medications
- Measure of costs including lost time from work
- Models of projected long-term side effects of treatments for dermatitis
- Measures planned at appropriate time intervals for contact dermatitis e.g. a minimum of two months after completion of patch testing
- Sub-stratification of patients with childhood flexural dermatitis and measure of concomitant treatments for infection and skin barrier dysfunction
- Patient engagement
NOTE: The applicant must be able to complete the research in their own institution’s settings while abiding by any COVID restrictions that are currently in place.
Deadline for submission of proposals is by 11:59pm on October 15 of any given year. Awardees will be notified within three weeks for funding to begin after January 1st. Oral presentation of an interim report is expected at the ACDS Annual Meeting, and a final report must be received by the American Contact Dermatitis Society no later than 2 years after the research is commenced in order to receive the second installment of payment. To apply for this award, please click here.
An outline for applications follows below.
Outline of Proposal
Please do not exceed 10 pages and upload as a PDF or MS Word Document.
- Specific aims: Explain your hypothesis and what you plan to accomplish.
- Significance: Why is this work important?
- Preliminary studies: Present prior work you have accomplished. Review relevant literature.
- Methods: Explain your experimental design and plan for data analysis. Explain how protected health information will be stored, shared, and destroyed. Explain audit trails in place and who will have access to data.
- References: Citations from literature.
- Budget: Provide a one-page detailed budget including expenses for database management; statistical analysis; presentation expenses.
- Signed Agreements: Please include a page listing the Fiscal Officer, the Project Director (or Applicant), Department Head and the Dean/Administrative Official along with their signatures agreeing to the statement below.
Grantee shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless American Contact Dermatitis Society (ACDS) and its officers, directors, members, agents and volunteers from and against all claims, damages, losses and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising out of or in connection with the actions or inactions of Grantee, Principal Investigator, and Co-Investigator in connection with the Study, including, without limitation, any claims or actions based upon or arising out of damage or injury (including death) to persons or property, or claims for payment or non-payment, caused by or sustained in connection with the performance of the Study.
[ ] Agree
[ ] Do not agree
In your proposal, please answer these questions:
- Include information about your institutional accreditation for protection of human subject research. Has this proposal been submitted for institutional review board approval?
- Has this proposal been approved by your institutional review board?
- Do you have other funding for this project? If yes, explain.
- Have you applied for other funding for this project? If yes, explain how ACDS funds would be used if you receive more than one award.
- Are the Principal or co-investigators non-US citizens? If yes, list visa types.